The itinerary that follows is to be considered as preliminary.
The plan at this moment is as follows:
- Tuesday 4 June 2019: In the evening we drive from pick-up locations in the Netherlands and Belgium to Caen.
- Wednesday 5 June 2019: Arrival at Caen airport around midday to watch arrivals and the drop
- Thursday 6 June 2019: No activities at Caen airport. We will visit several D-Day locations in the area. Possible visit to L-Birds Back to Normandy at Aérodrome de Saint André de l’Eure.
- Friday 7 June 2019: Visit Caen-Carpiquet, the field is open to the public. Afterwards we drive a bit towards the Netherlands already.
- Saturday 8 June 2019: We drive the last part back to the Netherlands.
On Tuesday we leave from a number of pick-up locations in the Netherlands and Belgium to Caen. We drive all night.
On Wednesday we plan to arrive at Caen-Carpiquet airport around noon. The big Dakota formation should arrive around 16:30-17:00. Around 19:00 there is a massive dropping of paratroopers into an original 1944 drop zone in Normandy. At this moment it is not yet clear whether the airport is open to the public. Otherwise we will find a nice place outside the field. We then drive to our hotel after this long day.
As it is currently known, no flight activities are planned on Thursday. That’s why we want to visit some historic D-Day locations in the area on this day.
On Friday the airport is open to the public and we will be at the entrance early. Here we will enjoy all the beautiful aircraft all day long. There is also the possibility to make a flight in a Dakota. Let us know if you are interested in this. Afterwards we drive a bit back towards the Netherlands and will stop somewhere for an overnight stay.
On Saturday we drive the last part to the Netherlands and stop at the different pick-up locations of the bus.